Monday, June 6, 2011

William...

Jesus Himself said -"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
There is no commandment greater than these.” -Mark 12:30-31

Dear William, (aka Number One, MoMo)

I went to your 5th grade graduation last week. As always, before you had done anything I thought you were perfectly wonderful.
I was proud as a peacock.

Then the students started walking across the stage-
as they cringed at their middle names being made known to the world....a teacher read their best memories of Woodridge Elementary.

Most kids said their favorite memory was "a day trip to TBarM" or "Field Day" or "winning a contest"...No one person, was mentioned as being a best memory.

You were not on the stage yet, so I may or may not, have been playing Words with Friends when I heard her say these words:
"John's Best memory of Woodridge was that "he had Will Dehlinger for the very best friend he had ever known, all this time."

Time stopped.

My eyes swelled.
My heart matched my eyes.

I must explain, I was not the slightest bit surprised to hear that someone thought you were a great friend- what I was blown away by, was who had said it.
I had never once in 5 years, seen or heard of this little boy. I had not heard you brag or even mention being nice to a lonely boy who didn't necessarily "fit in."


You, my precious Godson, have impacted someone's life so greatly, that the way you treated him was the best thing he will remember from 5 solid years.

As you walked across the stage- your humility and character were unmistakeable.
(As were the tears of your mom, your dad and me.)

You have been The Hands and Feet of Jesus to that little boy, just as you were to Robin.
Thank you for teaching and reminding us how to treat people.It does not go unnoticed. It never has. It never will.
God is watching you.
God is guiding you
God is applauding you.
As am I.

God, Thank You for putting this precious life in mine. Please, Bless Him and Keep Him, make Your Face to shine upon Him and be gracious unto him. Turn Your Face to Him and give Him peace.

In His Dust,
DCC

No comments: