Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ashes to Ashes....


Many people, have no idea why we walk around on Ash Wednesday with dirty black smudges on our foreheads. I will more than likely make an "ash" out of myself probably 3-4 times today, at the very least...This the the day when I approach total strangers everywhere from HEB, The Apple Store, AT&T and at church,..Yes, even there at church.
I look twice and may or may not motion to them, that there is something on their forehead. 
Make no never mind, that I TOO have a cross of ashes on my very own head. however, I quickly forget over and over and over again....
Every year I stick my ashen foot right in my mouth and walk away embarrassed. Surprised by my ability to remember.
We forget we are mortal....and we forget where we came from.

"We are dust, and to dust we shall return" ~Genesis 3:19

The big discussion before Easter- "WHAT ARE YOU GIVING UP????" Facebook, salt, liquor, meat, sweets, flour...or 
"WHAT ARE YOU ADDING???" more quiet time...more devotional, memorizing 400 jillion scriptures before Easter am??
no wonder the kid below is so sad.
When you look in the mirror tonight or pass a stranger in the frozen food section and see that "smudge", let it be a reminder...not about how deprived we are going to be for 40 days....or what sacrifices we are making (cue world's tiniest violin)
Let is remind you 
that we all forget....
that we all need grace and that we all need forgiveness
And we ALL have a God Who is alive and active. He is quick to forgive and to offer grace. He is calling on each of us to "prepare"...we are quickly approaching the greatest celebration of all time– Easter. The Resurrection of Christ!

God, Thank You for Your gift of Easter and the 40 days of Lent to prepare for it.

In His Dust,
DCC

No comments: