Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Phone call...

So, I got a message this weekend from a man that knew my grandfather.

Big deal, right?
Maybe not for some, but for me....yes.
I never knew my grandfather, he was killed in action during WWII. My mother never even met him...
so, to get a call....out of the blue...I found Divine.

I returned the call to Colonel Dwan and the first words out of my mouth were:
"I am Con Mims' granddaughter." as I burst in to tears.
He replied, in a very slow southern drawl, "Well I'll be!"

We talked for a long time...he shared his stories of growing up in Laredo, fighting in WWII, being in the cavalry.
He graduated from Harvard and married the love of his life and gone on to become a professor. Had several children, multiple grandchildren and even great-grandchildren.

He got a new Great Grandson 2 days ago, the boy was named Constantine....which is what made him think of his old friend, Con Mims, my grandfather.
This spunky 91 year old....told me he tried to find info on my grandfather on the, 
"what do ya call it? That miracle machine??"

I asked if perhaps he was talking about the internet? 
"yes, that deal....amazing thingamjig."

I asked what he remembered about my grandfather....his reply....
"Debbi, I  never had a bad word about him. Never knew anyone that didn't like him.
He was a good boy and a good man."
  
91 years is a long time to not hear a bad word about someone. 
Heck, I'd be grateful for 91 minutes!

Of course, this confirmed everything Momo had ever told me about him. 
Of course, I wanted desperately to pick up the phone and tell her about my conversation.
Of course, God reminded, me through my tears, that she already knew and was sitting with my grandfather as I was talking. 
 
"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." ~Hebrews 12:1


I am so grateful to God for those who came before me....invested so deeply in me...
and those that I have yet to meet. I am grateful that I am promised that I will meet them.

God, Thank You for surprise phone calls and blatant reminders of your Constant Presence.

In His Dust,
DCC

No comments: