Monday, May 6, 2013

Don't Be Shaped...

"Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. 
You’ll be changed from the inside out." ~Romans 12:2

I was honored to speak in a wedding this weekend at San Fernando Cathedral. 
It was founded in 1731 and is the oldest continuously functioning religious community in the State of Texas. 
(As in "Remember the Alamo type old," and believe you me, it does.) 
So, when I was told by the priest to "lift my hands" during my reading, 
needless to say, I did it.

The comments I got, by those who didn't understand the ritual, made me think.

"Wow, you really take this reading stuff seriously...you were really excited."

"Did you know your hands were raised?"

"You should so go and be a priest already or go into ministry!"


My answers in order.....

"Yes. Yes, I do take God's Word real seriously."

"Ummm, yes, I had control of my limbs. Thank you for your concern."

"The collar would look silly with my shorts and t-shirt...
and by the way, I am already in ministry..................we all are."

God calls all of us to, "Not conform to the world around us."
The word conformed is, "suschematizo." 
It literally means, to be molded or stamped according a pattern. 

This includes the pattern of public opinion which tends to define truth. 

It is so much easier to be affected by the world and it's opinions.
Including those we often swim with.
But, it is not what is best for us.
and He knows that.
God, Thank You for Your Mercy when we worry more about what others think, than what You do.

In His Dust,
DCC

No comments: